Aims of the preparatory class
The CPGE (preparatory class) at Duperré school is a two-year course which prepares students for the highly selective entrance exam to the Industrial Design department of the teacher training institute, the ENS Cachan (Agrégation, Masters, PhD). The challenging programme provides students with an excellent training in design, history of art, philosophy of art and a foreign language.
At the end of the two years, students are well-placed to enter other programs of Design in higher education at level L3 of the European LMD System (120 ECTS points) such as:
- DSAA (higher diploma) of Applied Arts Schools,
- École Supérieure du Paysage (Versailles, Bordeaux, Marseille, Lille),
- École Nationale Supérieure de Création Industrielle, (ENSCI, Paris),
- University programs in Design (final year of bachelor degrees),
- Écoles Nationales Supérieures des Arts Décoratifs (Paris and Strasbourg),
- École Ntionale Supérieure des Arts et Techniques du Théâtre (ENSATT, Lyon),
- Schools of Architecture, etc.
First year of study: a coherent, supportive group of the approximately 20 students is rapidly formed. A good deal of work is required but individual tutoring allows each student to make good progress. The first year gives the student a good cultural foundation and develops basic skills in all subjects. The way various domains of design are approached combines good working methods with artistic learning. The month of June is dedicated to work experience in any field of applied arts.
Second year of study: the second year is dedicated to preparing for the entrance exams of the major schools in art and design and more especially to the entrance exam of the ENS Cachan. A deeper study in all the subjects offered leads to the commitment of each person to a project based approach, the definition of a creative personality and understanding of specific cultural aspects. At the end of the year, each student will have put together a dossier of personal work.